Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I got our first two shipments of curricula in. Some of it I loved, Explode the Code for example. I wasn't too pleased with the math curriculum that I picked out initially, so that's on it's way back to the company. I hope to make another decision soon, and get this underway. In the meantime, the boys are still finding things to do and learn. This morning was another round of drawing and reading in their animal encyclopedias. They found a series that we owned that they had forgotten about, so it's currently being "rediscovered". Then in doing our usual browse of IPAC, we came across something really fun.

While in school, Chase had chosen "The War of the Worlds" as a reading assignment. He LOVED the book. Looking around, we found the original October 30, 1938 Radio Broadcast by Orson Welles. Luckily, the Portage Library had a copy, and we went and got it.

I had to explain to them that in 1938, televisions were not a "household item". And much like we watch shows today on TV, Radios used to be a source of entertainment back then. Once I did a little brief "history" lesson about that, they took the CD upstairs to listen to.

Colin was a bit scared by it, but Chase seems to really enjoy it. For now, it's on hold until Matt comes home, and I think we'll listen to it as a family tonite. We'll also read up about the panic that happened when listeners mistook it for a real broadcast, and the backlash that CBS received because of it.

On another note, I realized the kids love Billy Joel. How cool is that? :o)

No comments: